Your browsing history is the information that Internet Explorer remembers and stores on a PC as your browse the web. This includes info you've entered into forms, passwords, and sites you've visited, and it helps make your browsing experience better. If you're using a shared or public PC, you might not want Internet Explorer to remember your browsing data.
View your browsing history and delete specific sites
By viewing your browsing history, you can choose to delete specific sites, or return to a webpage that you've already visited.
- In Internet Explorer for the desktop, tap or click the Favorites button .
- Tap or click the History tab, and choose how you want to view your history by selecting a filter from the drop down menu:
- View By Date shows your last three weeks of history in chronological order.
- View By Site shows a list of sites you visited in the last three weeks, but not the dates of your visits.
- View By Most Visited shows your most visited sites in the last three weeks.
- View By Order Visited Today shows only sites you visited today.
To delete specific sites, press and hold (or right-click) a site from any of these lists, and then tap or click “Delete”. Or, return to a page by tapping or clicking any site in the list.
Delete your browsing history
Regularly deleting your browsing history helps protect your privacy, especially if you're using a shared or public PC.
To delete your browsing history in the Internet Explorer app
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap “Settings”. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)
- Tap or click “Options”, and under History, tap or click “Select”.
- Select the Browsing history check box, and any other types of data or files you want to remove, and then tap or click “Delete”.
To delete your browsing history in the desktop
- In Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools button , point to “Safety”, and then click “Delete browsing history”.
- Select the types of data or files you want to remove from your PC, and then tap or click “Delete”.
(adapted from microsoft.com)